Thursday, August 13, 2009

So the first two days of school are officially over! I’m not going to lie, the first day was exhausting! Everything I had planned was over in like an hour, and then I was like oh dear. What do I do?! Haha but today was much better, and I was well prepared J my kids require every ounce of my attention at every second, but are absolutely adorable. I am really looking forward to getting to know them all better. Today I read Winn Dixie to them for like an hour, and had them draw a picture or a scene from the story I was reading them. And they loved it. I was doing the voices and everything, it was quite fun. I’m definitely going to enjoy that aspect of teaching J We also had math today, and oh dear is there a lot of work to be done there. I am supposed to be teaching them times tables and division and all of that stuff but today as we were reviewing adding and subtracting I realized that they are far from ready to move on to anything else yet. I went over their assignment with them and did like four examples with them. In the end I ended up doing every single problem with them on the board, and sometimes with them individually again as well. It was pretty tiring. I don’t know how I’m supposed to teach them other things, its going to be a  lot of work. I have this one little girl named Zara from Australia who is absolutely adorable! Besides that the other 21 of them are all islanders who insist on saying Miss! Miss! Every second J. Teaching is going to be much more work than I thought to be perfectly honest. But I think it will just be especially difficult at the beginning, I need to get the hang of things, and as Amy and I are discovering already, learn things the hard way J

Much to my delight Amy and I are finally figuring out how to eat here. That was quite discouraging but now we have a rice cooker (I ruined are first batch of rice last night. Worst pohnpeian missionary ever. I swear I followed the little instruction manual!) and have found that we can get carrots, and cucumbers for our vegetable supply (even some frozen veggies occasionally! )And have decided that the pricey apples are worth it for our fruit supply along with a never ending supply of bananas. The locals put bananas in EVERYTHING haha they are quite delicious however.

Last night two of the guys came over and had a lesson plan party with Amy and I. It got kind of late, (ten is late for us now haha so much for a college schedule!) and my silly side kicked in full force! The laughing was great stress relief but I’m pretty sure I traumatized these two innocent guys that barely know me. There were just like oh my goodness whats happening?! Now we’re all about to go find a swimming hole or something cuz its sooo hott! I’m seriously like over heating here. and I’m still waiting to go surfing! Ahhh!!! And maybe snorkeling soon J I hope we get to do something fun like that this weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. I have total faith in you that you will rock those little kids worlds and rack there brains for things the haven't thought of...i'm prayin for you and i know the Big Man always come through...i've enjoyed reading you blog so far and i'm looking forward to the next few months:) lots of love....

    Max

    ReplyDelete