Sunday, August 16, 2009

a good day :)

Today was AMAZING. This weekend actually. It is Sunday night and I am officially exhausted. But in the amazing way, like after a full day of wakeboarding at the lake J I am falling in love with an Island called Pohnpei. Sabbath we went through town telling people about a free health fair we were having and it was really cool to see more into the culture here. I have decided that I am never complaining about our apartment again! There is quite a bit of poverty here, we are so lucky in America. Seriously, I feel quite spoiled living at the academy here. Then, at the health fair, I ended up sneaking out and just playing with the kids all evening, it was SO fun. Haha I was soo tired, I need to get in shape! At the health fair I got my blood sugar taken just for fun, so Ryan poked me with a needle to get some blood and I jumped cuz I was really surprised. Haha the kids thought it was SOO funny, so they started calling me Miss Pokey Hand. I was like what? What are you calling me? And then they’d just run from me. It was so funny. This led to numerous games of hide and seek, dance offs, the game Drop, and fits of giggles. After we left, Amy, Joel, Matt, and I had a photo shoot in the rain. Haha we had to drive back in the rain, so we were already soaking. It was quite fun J Joel and Matt, have me pretty convinced that I want to move to Australia (that’s where they’re from), haha at least a visit J

Today we woke up and a group of us went out to this little island to teach some kids how to surf. It was amazing. I really don’t know how to put in words. It was like today wasn’t real. We pretty much spent the entire day in paradise. Got to teach some kids how to surf, ate rice and barbequed chicken (I had a little, trying to live up the culture thing) and then we took out the boards for a little. The board I was on was literally half as small as mine and half as wide, I didn’t think I was going to get up at all, but ended up catching a wave. I didn’t stand up though haha I was too scared of falling into the coral. When I got off my board I was in only like a foot of water, if that. I am realizing that if I’m going to surf here I need booties cuz I was just standing on the coral, and then waves start crashing in. Its slightly intimidating I’m not going to lie! Some of the guys actually got cut up, but I ended up being ok J Oh, and Amy and I learned about Fire Coral the hard way! She decided to grab it thinking it looked pretty, and I accidently kicked some while pushing a little girl on her surfboard. It burns! So now we know to stay away from that J We’ll definitely be going back to that island, it only costs five dollars to get over there, and then ten dollars for a little hut to spend the night (which you can split between five people) so I’m quite excited to say the least. Now I just need to get some sleep before my first full school day tomorrow! I’m sure I’ll have many stories about that, hopefully good ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment