Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tennis. America vs. Australia

So I have recently discovered Pohnpei’s tennis courts. For those of you picturing a beautiful green tennis floor that a tennis ball could actually bounce on, complete with a net and nicely drawn white boundary lines let me restate my previous statement. I have recently discovered Pohnpei’s loose dirt and gravel floor courts, complete with barely visible black tennis lines that are the wrong measurements and approximately 3/4ths of a net. Non-the-less it something one may hit a yellow tennis ball over and has recently provided much entertainment. One of the Australian SM’s Joel and I started playing this past week. For those of you who have had the privilege of witnessing my competitive side I have inherited from my father, you can imagine that I immediately was no longer playing a casual game of tennis for enjoyment, but competing to defend my country’s honor and dignity as a woman. Haha these matches have turned into approximately 90% smack talk and 10% tennis. I would also like to declare that the last two tennis outings have ended in a victory for the United States and all women who inhabit the beautiful country. Joel and I have to walk for about 10-15 minutes to reach the tennis courts. Usually these walks include chatter, laughter, and the occasional blow to the opponent’s country. I can say with a stifle of laughter that last night was a very quiet walk home. Apparently I know how to shut up Australians. :) After last night the stakes of our so called “friendly” games were raised. We have now started an official tennis tournament that will most likely last till the end of the year. The bet was made official last night. Whoever wins the best of eleven tennis matches will get to enjoy watching their opponent suffer much humilation. I’m going to win so let me just tell you what happens when Joel loses haha. Joel will have to take me out to dinner while wearing a t-shirt that reads in bold letters “American Girls Are Better” along with having to make a video wearing all red, white, and blue and holding an American flag proclaiming that America is better and then post it on his facebook for the entire world to see. Along with having to wear his “American Girls are Better” t-shirt once he is home in Australia for an entire day (with photo proof). This entire bet is switched for me, I would theoretically have to declare that Australia was better while wearing a t-shirt that says “Australian girls are better” etc. Clearly Australians aren’t very smart because Joel decided to add onto the bet even more. Saying that if he can beat me the next 5 matches in a row than I will have to wear my “Australian girls are better” t-shirt five days in a row. If I win the next three in a row (adding up to five in a row) however, then he has to wear his “American girls are better” t-shirt for the next five days straight. When will this boy learn? I’ll have to keep everyone updated on this heated tennis tournament. Poor Australia…I actually feel just a little bad… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment