Saturday, February 13, 2010

Haiti and Pancakes..

I have been keeping my kids updated on Haiti. I recently blogged about my student Yuichi and how he wanted to give his birthday money, I forgot to mention another incident that highlighted the innocence and generous heart of a child. Before I share this little story with you, let me explain what we have been doing for Haiti over here. Our school started “Haiti boxes”. The idea was for each elementary class to create a box and fill it with as much donation money as possible. My kids immediately got into it, we are going on about our third week of fundraising and we have a little over $200. I am so proud of them! We will collect the money from all the classes at the end of this week and I am really excited. Also last weekend we held a Movie Night for the elementary kids in our chapel. It cost them $2 to get in and we showed the movie Bolt (awesome movie by the way!) on a big projector. Also we had a bakesale going on the whole time. It went great, we raised over $300 for Haiti that night! I was very happy with how it turned out. Ok, so now that I have caught you up on our Haiti fundraising events here’s the story…So the day my class started our Haiti box my girl Loriann came up to me. It was the end of the day so everyone was leaving and running around, and she says “Miss! Miss! I’m going to bring pancakes tomorrow ok?” I was like…what? Definitely not following her I said, “Um..ok, why sweetie?” she responded saying “For Haeitee Miss. For Haeitee.” I still wasn’t following her…she clearly read my clueless expression and continued, “I’m going to have my mom make pancakes for the people in Haiti, then we can mail them and they won’t be hungry anymore.” Once again my heart just about melted as realization hit me. I stifled laughter as I looked at her and replied, “Hmm that’s a really good idea, but do you think that the pancakes would last in the mail? Hati is really far away..” She paused in deep thought for a moment (it is still taking a large amount of self-control to not laugh at how adorable this situation is..). I somehow managed to keep my very serious face on as she finally came up with her answer that was accompanied by a pout, “No.” I leaned down to her and encouraged her, “Well maybe we can send them money so they can make their own pancakes. What do you think?” The pout disappeared from her face, “Ok Miss. I think that’s a good idea.” With that she bounced off with her little backpack. I went home feeling so full that day. Once again the heart of a child, it amazed me..

No comments:

Post a Comment